What is VictimConnect?
The VictimConnect Resource Center is a referral helpline where crime victims can learn about their rights and options confidentially and compassionately. A program of the National Center for Victims of Crime, it combines:
- A traditional telephone-based helpline: 855-4-VICTIM (855-484-2846)
- An innovative online chat: Chat.VictimConnect.org
- Web-based information and service referrals: VictimConnect.org
With extensive specialized training, our Victim Assistance Specialists stand ready to help crime victims:
- Understand their rights and options
- Find information and connect with resources
- Access referrals
- Craft next steps to regain control over their lives
Who do we serve?
VictimConnect serves victims of any crime in the United States. Whether by chat or phone, our specialists assist victims in locating appropriate national, local, or online referrals. VictimConnect also has a special focus on populations, crimes, and topics that are generally underrepresented or underserved in victim services. To that end, we partner with the following National Center programs:
- VictimConnect Senior Services Program, to assist senior victims of abuse or financial fraud. Senior services staff have been specially trained to provide referrals, community resources, and additional support to prevent and increase awareness of elder abuse.
- National Crime Victim Bar Association, the nation’s only nonprofit, crime-victim attorney-referral service, with over 300 attorney members across the country. By working with the Bar Association, we are able to provide victims with information about their civil legal remedies and connect them with a professional who can guide them through the process of filing civil charges.
- Stalking Resource Center, with expertise in the needs of stalking victims. Training staff collaborate to help victims understand their rights and reporting options, plan for their safety, hold their offenders accountable, and connect with service providers for ongoing support.
- Financial Crimes Resource Center, to provide the latest information and options for victims of all financial crimes. Through the resource center’s extensive knowledge base and web content, we are able to walk victims of financial crime through the complex reporting and recovery process.
When can I access services?
The VictimConnect phones are open 8:30am – 7:30pm EST Monday – Friday, and chat is open 9:30am – 6:30pm EST Monday – Friday. Our web content is always available at www.VictimConnect.org.
What topics are covered?
Victims of crime have a variety of needs, from the simple—locating nearby victim advocates—to the complex—understanding how to navigate the criminal justice process. Here are some of the topics VictimConnect can assist callers with:
- Case Management
- Mental Health and Counseling Services
- Housing Needs
- Victim Compensation and Restitution
- National and Local Referrals
- Legal Services
- Civil Justice Options
- Support Groups and Communities
- Victim Rights’ Advocacy
- Crime Reporting
- Identity Theft Recovery
What if I speak another language?
The helpline employs both English and Spanish-speaking Victim Assistance Specialists. Any specialist can also access an interpreter for more than 200 languages. Hearing- and speech-impaired individuals can reach us using 711, a national access number that connects to Telecommunications Relay Services.
What information will I need to provide?
All VictimConnect services are completely anonymous. Our Victim Assistance Specialists begin each conversation by inquiring about any safety or privacy concerns callers may have. We will never request any personally identifying information. Nor do we store any user information (including phone numbers or IP addresses).
For victims seeking local services, we may ask for their city and state to provide the best possible referrals.
We also may collect non-identifying information regarding the types of services requested and the crimes that were discussed in order to improve our services.