Quick Exit

If you are in immediate danger, CALL 911.

VictimConnect lines may experience longer than usual wait times. Thank you for your patience with us. Anytime we are closed, or hard to reach, feel free to check out the Resource Map to locate service providers in your area (Select the "Resources" tab at the top of this page followed by "Victim Connect Resource Map"). More Info.


Civil Suits

Civil Suits

Crime victims have the option of going through the civil justice system, by filing a civil suit, to be compensated by the individuals who harmed them for their financial losses or the expenses they incurred as a result of the crime they experienced. Civil suits, unlike crime victim compensation and restitution, also allow victims to potentially be compensated for their pain and suffering and their attorney’s fees. Each state’s laws are slightly different and victims should speak with a legal professional for more information. Victims may also visit Women’sLaw.Org to find more information on their state laws.

To file a civil suit against the individual who caused them harm, some crime victims may need the help of a lawyer. If damages fall below a certain amount, crime victims may be able to file a claim in small claims court on their own without the assistance of a lawyer. To learn more about the civil justice system, please read this PowerPoint created by the National Crime Victim Bar Association.  

Visit our VictimConnect Resource Map for additional resources or contact the VictimConnect Resource Center by phone or text at 1-855-4-VICTIM or by chat for more information or assistance in locating services that can help you or a loved one with understanding civil suits.